Truck Accident Lawyers in Salisbury
Fighting for You & Your Family
Many major roadways run through the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Commercial trucks navigate these roads and highways to transport and deliver goods throughout Wicomico and Worcester Counties. Route 50 to the beach is consistently bombarded with large trucks. Unfortunately, as a consequence of this unfailing traffic, truck accidents are disturbingly common.
Drivers involved in a collision with a truck often sustain severe injuries. To obtain the compensation and justice these victims deserve, retaining an experienced Salisbury truck accident lawyer is often critical. Litigating truck accident claims is extremely complex due to the many potentially liable parties and applicable defenses. At Portner & Shure, P.A., our truck accident lawyers are ready to fight for you. We have a proven record of success and know-how to assist you in traversing the bumpy legal road that may lay ahead.
Contact Portner & Shure, P.A. online or by phone at (855) 954-4141 today for a free, confidential consultation. Our legal services are provided on a contingency fee basis, meaning we only recover attorneys’ fees if we obtain a settlement or judgment on your behalf.
Why Do Truck Accidents Happen?
Commercial drivers oftentimes work long hours on the road. The trucking industry is full of fierce competition, and, if truck drivers fail to deliver cargo on schedule, they can be punished financially.
Truck accidents and collisions occur based on a variety of factors, including:
- Impairment: One of the most common causes of trucking accidents is alcohol/drug use. Truck drivers may take stimulants to overcome driver fatigue, but when the stimulant wears off, the effects of driver fatigue multiply.
- Fatigue: Another common cause of trucking accidents is driver fatigue. Despite federal regulations limiting the number of hours that truck drivers can proceed without resting, many drivers ignore these regulations to meet the strict delivery timeframes. Driver fatigue correlates to impaired decision-making and slower reaction time.
- Improper training: The final major cause of truck collisions is illegal maneuvers and poor driver training. Poorly trained truckers may attempt to turn their truck on roads with insufficient space, which will result in a collision with other drivers on the road.
In our 25+ years of experience, our firm has managed cases involving the following and more:
- Overloaded tractor-trailers: Federal law strictly regulates the amount of cargo/weight that a tractor-trailer can transport. Due to improper training or ignorance, trailers are often overloaded. When a tractor-trailer is overweight, it presents a hazard to everyone else on the road because it becomes prone to jackknife collisions and rollovers.
- Rollovers: Given the size and weight of a tractor-trailer, they are at an increased risk of rolling over. A tractor-trailer rolling over can result in crushing other vehicles.
- Jackknife collisions: If a truck comes to an unexpected stop, the truck and trailer may move in different directions. This is extremely dangerous because the truck driver has lost all control over the trailer. Consequently, the trailer may collide with other vehicles or pedestrians. Jackknife accidents are typically caused by tractor-trailers traveling at high rates of speed, improper maintenance, and improper braking.
- Improperly loaded tractor-trailers: When a tractor-trailer is filled with cargo, the cargo must be secured and distributed appropriately. Improperly secured cargo may shift inside the tractor. When a tractor-trailer is not loaded properly, the likelihood of a jackknife collision or rollover increases.
Injuries & Compensation
A collision with a truck is like running into a metal wall due to the truck’s enormous size and weight. It can result in severe and permanent injuries.
Truck accidents result in a few common injuries, including:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Head trauma (concussions)
- Brain injury
To recover from such significant injuries, extensive medical treatment and rehabilitation are often required. This is why truck accident victims should seek the help of an experienced Salisbury truck accident attorney. Depending on the nature of the accident, potential damages include medical expenses, lost salary, lost future earnings, pain and suffering, disability, emotional distress, and property damage.
How to Succeed in a Truck Accident Case
Insurance providers for trucking companies typically retain high-powered defense law firms to defend their accident claims. You should only progress your case with an attorney with just as much experience and knowledge. The skilled attorneys at Portner & Shure, P.A. recognize that building a successful case requires time and resources. Our successful litigation strategy includes a careful analysis of the facts and evidence in your particular situation, including black box data, drug test results, and driving logs.
Hiring Portner & Shure, P.A.
The attorneys at Portner & Shure, P.A. have successfully represented truck accident victims for more than 25 years in Caroline and Somerset Counties, and throughout the state of Maryland. We know how to maneuver the personal injury process and will advocate for the maximum compensation you are owed.
Contact us online or call (855) 954-4141 today for a free consultation.
“Communicative, supportive and patient!”- Former Client
“He cares for his clients with his whole heart!”- Former Client
“I really appreciate all her hard work!”- Anon
We have offices in Maryland, Virginia & Washington, D.C.
We are top-10 rated lawyers.
We have received countless 5-star Google & Facebook reviews.
We have recovered over $350 million on behalf of our clients.
We offer legal representation in Spanish, Korean & Chinese languages.
We have aggressive litigation tactics, skill, and passion.
When you hire Portner & Shure, you can expect more from your representation. In addition to getting an attorney, you will get a committed advocates you has your best interests at heart.