BEL AIR, MARYLAND PROSTITUTION LAWYERS
No Criminal Charges are Too Intense to Defend Against
For more than 25 years, Portner & Shure, P.A. has been standing up for the rights of the criminally accused in Bel Air, Maryland. If you were charged with illegal prostitution, then we would be proud to give you a fair chance in front of the court. You should not be pressured into accepting a plea deal nor should the prosecution harass you just because you are a sex worker. You deserve to have your voice heard and your rights respected, which is exactly what our Bel Air prostitution charge defense attorneys can do for you.
Call (410) 286-1999 now to get your defense started!
Maryland Prostitution Laws
Maryland criminalizes all aspects of prostitution. The crime is actually an “umbrella” term that covers numerous facets, each one a specific criminal statute. Our defense lawyers are capable of creating an effective defense against all prostitution-related charges.
Maryland divides prostitution charges into the following:
- Prostitution: The crime of prostitution is defined as conducting a sexual act in exchange for compensation. According to Maryland Criminal Code 11-303, an individual who is charged with prostitution faces a misdemeanor conviction with a potential penalty of 1 year in jail and/or a fine of $500.
- Solicitation: The crime of solicitation is defined as an act wherein one person encourages, requests, advises, persuades, induces, urges, or commands another person to perform a sexual act for compensation. According to Maryland Criminal Code 11-306, an individual who is charged with solicitation faces a misdemeanor conviction with a potential penalty of 1 year in jail and/or a fine of $500.
- Operating a brothel: Maryland law prohibits a person from operating a house of prostitution or a brothel. According to Maryland Criminal Code 11-307, an individual who is charged with operating a house of prostitution faces a misdemeanor conviction with a potential penalty of 1 year in jail and/or a fine of $500.
- Receiving illicit earnings: Maryland law prohibits a person from receiving the earnings of a sex worker. According to Maryland Criminal Code 11-304, an individual who is charged with receiving the earnings of a prostitute faces a misdemeanor conviction with a potential penalty of 10 years in prison and/or a fine of $10,000.
- Human trafficking: Maryland law also criminalizes human trafficking. Maryland law defines trafficking as taking, causing a person to be taken, or placing a person in any place to conduct the crime of prostitution. Maryland law also criminalizes inducing, encouraging, or persuading an individual to be placed or taken to any place for prostitution. According to Maryland Criminal Code 3-1102, an individual who is charged with sex trafficking faces a misdemeanor conviction with a potential penalty of 10 years in prison and/or a fine of $5,000.
Defenses to Prostitution Charges
To be convicted of any prostitution-related offense, the State of Maryland has the burden of proving an accused individual’s guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. A review of the evidence may indicate that the prosecution lacks sufficient evidence for an essential element. For example, can it prove that someone was offering a sexual act in exchange for compensation, or were they merely being flirtatious? Small details can lead to big changes in a prostitution defense case.
Why Hire Portner & Shure, P.A. Today?
Our experienced Bel Air prostitution attorneys at Portner & Shure, P.A. have been successfully representing clients in prostitution defense cases for decades. The American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys of 2020 recently recognized Portner & Shure as one of Maryland’s “10 Best Law Firms” for criminal defense cases. Don’t you think your case deserves that caliber of representation, too?
To schedule a free consultation regarding your Bel Air prostitution case, dial (410) 286-1999 or contact us online.
“I just wanna say, thanks for everything! You guys are amazing! The whole team took care of everything!”- Former Client
“I got to know this place through a friend's recommendation while looking for a lawyer because of a reckless driving ticket. To be honest, I was worried and nervous because it was my first ticket. The lawyer reassured me and solved it really well.”- Elizabeth Y.
“Portner and Shure worked really hard, and I got a good result in my case. If one of our family or friends gets in trouble with reckless driving, I definitely recommend this firm. Thank you for helping me Portner and Shure especially for my attorney, Kevin.”- M.O.S.
We have offices in Maryland, Virginia & Washington, D.C.
We are top-10 rated lawyers.
We have received countless 5-star Google & Facebook reviews.
We have recovered over $300 million on behalf of our clients.
We offer legal representation in Spanish, Korean & Chinese languages.
We have aggressive litigation tactics, skill, and passion.
When you hire Portner & Shure, you can expect more from your representation. In addition to getting an attorney, you will get a committed advocates you has your best interests at heart.