Glen Burnie, Maryland Truck Accident Attorney
Truck Accident Lawsuits Filed on Behalf of Victims
Collisions involving commercial trucks are a frequent occurrence. These collisions occur despite regulation and oversight by the federal government. These collisions result in innocent victims suffering terrible injuries with life-altering consequences.
Insurance companies fiercely defend truck accident lawsuits to avoid paying proper compensation to the victims. Representation by a Glen Burnie, Maryland truck accident lawyer can greatly benefit the claimant. The award-winning lawyers at Portner & Shure, P.A. have spent more than 25 years obtaining favorable results for victims of truck accidents.
For a free consultation, dial (855) 954-4141 or contact us online.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
The commercial trucking industry is extremely competitive. Truck drivers spend long hours working in isolated conditions. These factors result in many truck drivers ignoring federal law and engaging in negligent practices.
Truck collisions frequently occur due to:
- Driver fatigue: While truck drivers are required to take mandatory rest breaks, many truck drivers continue driving to deliver their cargo on schedule. Truck drivers are often penalized if they fail to deliver their cargo on schedule. Driver fatigue often results in reduced reaction time, impaired sensory perception, and impaired decision making.
- Drug use: To combat the effects of driver fatigue, truck drivers consume prescription or over-the-counter stimulants. The effects of driver fatigue are often amplified after the effects of a stimulant wear off. This drug use often leads truck drivers to begin abusing other substances such as alcohol while driving.
- Improper maintenance: Competition in the commercial trucking industry is fierce. Trucking companies frequently fail to perform proper maintenance to reduce operating costs.
- Illegal maneuvers: Truck drivers frequently drive in excess of the posted speed limit or travel on prohibited roadways to deliver their cargo on schedule. Trucks that travel above the posted speed limit may lack sufficient stopping distance. Trucks that travel on prohibited roadways may lack sufficient space to safely turn.
- Distracted driving: Commercial trucks are complex machines that require a driver to pay full time and attention. Unfortunately, truck drivers are often distracted by devices such as cellular phones and radios.
Injuries & Compensation in Truck Accident Cases
Unlike a simple fender bender between two small vehicles, truck accidents often involve a collision between a regular vehicle and a 40-ton object. Due to the sheer size and mass of a commercial truck, the resulting injuries are often catastrophic.
These injuries include:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Brain injuries
- Broken bones
Due to the severity of these injuries, truck accident victims must often receive emergency medical care. To fully recover, truck accident victims must often undergo physical therapy, orthopedic treatment, and occupational therapy. Maryland law allows truck accident victims to seek financial compensation for their injuries. Truck accident victims can seek both economic and non-economic damages for the cost of their medical care, lost wages, and for the pain and suffering caused by their injuries.
Litigation & Defenses
Due to the legally and factually complex nature of truck accident lawsuits, extensive investigation and preparation are usually required. To succeed in a truck accident lawsuit, a victim must prove their case by a preponderance of the evidence, i.e., 51%. Insurance companies routinely retain aggressive defense attorneys who fiercely defend truck accident lawsuits. These defense attorneys often raise the defense of contributory negligence, which prevents a victim from recovering money if evidence is produced showing that the victim’s negligence contributed to the accident.
Why Hire Portner & Shure, P.A.?
If you suffered an injury as a result of a truck accident, representation by an experienced Glen Burnie, Maryland truck accident lawyer can help. The attorneys at Portner & Shure, P.A. have been investigating, preparing, and litigating complex personal injury cases for more than 25 years. Our attorneys know how to obtain crucial evidence such as black box data, employment files, drug test results, driving logs, and travel schedules. Our attorneys know how to use this data, along with expert witness testimony in court, to obtain favorable judgments and settlements. Insurance companies know who we are and know that we are not afraid to litigate complex cases.
Portner & Shure, P.A. receives no fee unless our client obtains a settlement or judgment in court. Our truck accident and tractor trailer injury team have won numerous Maryland truck accident cases where the accident victim speaks English, Spanish, Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese), Vietnamese, and Korean. To schedule a free consultation regarding your Glen Burnie truck accident case, call us at (855) 954-4141 or contact us online.
“Guided me with the RFE process”- D.N.S.
“It worked out great”- E.N.
“With my utmost respect I give thanks to you both.”- A.A.
We have offices in Maryland, Virginia & Washington, D.C.
We are top-10 rated lawyers.
We have received countless 5-star Google & Facebook reviews.
We have recovered over $300 million on behalf of our clients.
We offer legal representation in Spanish, Korean & Chinese languages.
We have aggressive litigation tactics, skill, and passion.
When you hire Portner & Shure, you can expect more from your representation. In addition to getting an attorney, you will get a committed advocates you has your best interests at heart.