Annapolis, Maryland Car Accident Attorneys
Real Attorneys Who Stand Up for You
Annapolis is one of the oldest cities in the United States. Its rich history can be seen with the numerous historic buildings and streets. Unfortunately, many of the roads in Annapolis were not designed for heavy traffic. These narrow historic streets are often coupled with negligent drivers, which is a combination that results in car accidents occurring with great frequency.
If you suffered an injury as a result of a car accident, seek representation immediately. Do not allow yourself to be left at the mercy of an insurance company. At Portner & Shure, P.A., our Annapolis car accident attorneys have been fighting insurance companies on behalf of our injured clients for more than 25 years.
To learn more about the services we can provide, call us at us at (855) 954-4141.
Things You Should Do After a Car Accident
A personal injury lawsuit begins with trying to re-create an accident. As such, there are certain things that you should try to do following an accident.
It is important to:
- Obtain medical treatment: Due to the startling nature of a car accident, many victims are often unaware that they suffered an injury due to adrenaline. Many victims do not feel pain for several hours following a car accident. As such, it is advisable to seek medical treatment immediately after an accident to ensure that any injuries are properly diagnosed, treated, and documented.
- Call the police: Maryland law requires police officers to write an accident report if a vehicle is disabled or if a car accident victim is transported to the hospital by ambulance. If both cars are drivable and if no one goes to the hospital, the police must still write an exchange of information form. These items provide powerful documentation that an accident did occur and also provide helpful information such as the other driver’s contact information and the identity of independent witnesses.
- Photograph the vehicles: Insurance companies often minimize or deny claims by claiming that no collision happened. Photographs of property can support a victim’s claim that a collision occurred and can also help a victim prove that the other driver is at fault.
- Obtain witness information: Insurance companies often deny claims by arguing that a victim cannot prove their case. Testimony by an independent witness can tip the scales in a victim’s favor and help them prove their case. As such, it is highly advisable to obtain the names and contact information of any independent witnesses.
- Exchange insurance information: Maryland law requires individuals that are involved in automobile collisions are required to exchange insurance information. Individuals must provide their name and insurance information.
- Obtain sick slips: Following an accident, victims are often unable to work due to their injuries. Insurance companies often refuse to compensate victims for their lost wages on the basis that there is no medical documentation showing that the victim was unable to work. Sick slips from a doctor weaken this argument.
Taking these steps substantially improves a victim’s chances of winning and obtaining the compensation they deserve.
Common Questions Regarding Property Following an Accident
In addition to a person’s injuries, car accidents naturally result in property damage. Victims often ask how their vehicles will be repaired and who will pay for the costs of the repairs. If a victim’s insurance policy covers property damage, they can use their own insurance. If other driver’s insurance company admits liability, they will pay for the repairs of the victim’s vehicle. If the other driver’s insurance company denies fault, the victim can use their insurance. If the victim’s insurance does not cover property damage, they will have to personally pay for their repairs and claim the cost of their property damage in court.
Injuries Resulting from a Car Accident
By their nature, car accidents involve collisions between heavy objects that are often moving at high rates of speed. The injuries car accident victims suffer depend on a variety of factors.
Common injuries include:
- Back injuries
- Brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Head injuries
- Internal injuries
- Muscle damage
- Nerve damage
Victims that suffer severe injuries usually require emergency medical care and hospitalization. Victims with less severe injuries may only need medical care from their primary care provider. If an appointment cannot be obtained from a primary care provider, victims can obtain treatment at an urgent care facility. To fully recover from their injuries, victims often undergo physical therapy.
Sadly, car accident victims often elect not to receive medical care due to a lack of insurance. Many car accident victims are unaware that they may have Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage available through their insurance. PIP is extremely useful. PIP can be used to pay for medical expenses including physical therapy.
Compensation from a Car Accident Case
Sometimes, a car accident's medical expenses exceed the amount of PIP coverage available. This results in car accident victims having to pay those medical expenses out of their own pocket. Maryland law allows car accident victims to obtain compensation for the cost of their medical care along with other expenses such as towing costs and property damage repairs. Additionally, car accident victims can also obtain compensation for the pain and suffering they endured.
Litigation & Defenses Used By Insurance Companies
To win a car accident lawsuit, a victim must prove that that the other driver caused the collision, and that the collision caused their injuries. A victim must prove this by a preponderance of the evidence, i.e., 51%. Meeting this burden can sometimes be difficult. If a victim has evidence proving the other driver caused the collision, such as independent witness testimony, they have a better chance of meeting their burden.
A victim must still overcome several legal defenses available under Maryland law. Insurance companies frequently use the defense of contributory negligence to deny fault and shift blame onto the victim. To raise this defense, a defendant must prove that the victim committed an act of negligence that contributed to the accident.
Why Hire Portner & Shure, P.A.?
The injuries that car accident victims suffered require effective representation. The attorneys at Portner & Shure, P.A., bring more than 25 years of experience to each case. Our attorneys know how to investigate the facts of an accident to build a winning case. Our attorneys know how to gather evidence such as photographs, independent witnesses, and medical records.
The attorneys at Portner & Shure, P.A. use this information to prepare strong written demands to insurance companies. Our demands are tailored to explain how a defendant is at fault and why a case should be resolved via a settlement. If a settlement cannot be achieved, the attorneys at Portner & Shure, P.A. use their skills as litigators to obtain favorable judgments in court.
While past results do not guarantee future success, insurance companies know who we are because of our well-earned reputation. All personal injury representation is performed on a contingency fee basis. This means Portner & Shure, P.A. receives no fee unless our client obtains a settlement or judgment in court.
To schedule a free consultation regarding your Annapolis car accident case, contact us at (855) 954-4141 or contact us online. Our staff speaks English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Korean, and Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese). In fact, we have obtained large awards for clients from local Spanish, Korean, and Chinese communities in Annapolis and throughout Maryland.
“With my utmost respect I give thanks to you both.”- A.A.
“I just wanna say, thanks for everything! You guys are amazing! The whole team took care of everything!”- Former Client
“She was always going to be available to help me and explain yet again. I appreciate everything she has done. And I appreciate Mr. Portner going to bat for me. What a superstar team Portner and Shure are.”- Former Client
We have aggressive litigation tactics, skill, and passion.
We offer legal representation in Spanish, Korean & Chinese languages.
We have recovered over $300 million on behalf of our clients.
We have received countless 5-star Google & Facebook reviews.
We are top-10 rated lawyers.
We have offices in Maryland, Virginia & Washington, D.C.
When you hire Portner & Shure, you can expect more from your representation. In addition to getting an attorney, you will get a committed advocates you has your best interests at heart.