Frederick, Maryland Car Accident Lawyers
Injured Drivers Know They Can Trust Our Team
To limit the stress you that will feel after a car accident, you should promptly call Portner & Shure, P.A. Our Frederick car accident attorneys have been representing victims of car accidents for more than 25 years, so we know a thing or three about insurance company tactics. Given our 5-star reviews, past results, ratings, and recognition, we are certain that our car accident lawyers have the insight and talents necessary to assist you in your car accident case. The trauma and stress of a car accident can be overwhelming, allow us at Portner & Shure, P.A. to take care of you and your family.
Call (855) 954-4141 if you would like a free consultation with our lawyers.
What Should You Do After a Car Accident?
To ensure that your Frederick car accident lawyer can assist you to the best of their ability, you must do the following after a crash:
Contact Law Enforcement if the Crash Caused Injuries or a Street Hazard
- To ensure your safety and the safety of those around you, contact local police for assistance. The authorities may also help establish a record of what occurred.
- Immediately following your accident, do not move your vehicle until you have taken pictures of the property damage to the vehicles involved.
Identify Witnesses and Ask them for Statements
- Survey your surroundings and identify any witnesses to your car accident. Ask them for statements regarding what occurred. This is essential to ensure that the facts of the collision are not changed after the fact. Having a clear and legitimate account of what occurred from witnesses reduces the chances of an insurance company denying liability.
Gather All Relevant Information
- Secure are relevant documentation like the other driver’s information, names of passengers, license plate numbers, the exact time and place of the crash, weather conditions, your wellbeing, and how the accident occurred.
Pursue Medical Treatment
- Initially, after a crash, it is important to seek medical attention so there is official documentation of your injuries. Even if you only have a neck or back strain, it is imperative to see a doctor. In many cases, you may feel fine immediately following an accident. However, symptoms can appear later, and you should seek medical treatment as soon as possible. In cases where there is a serious injury, a follow-up with a specialist will be necessary. Our results in a claim often rely on the claimant’s medical records. Factors like how soon after the accident you saw a doctor, how long you required treatment, if there were any gaps in your treatment, who the treating doctor is, and the doctor’s bills influence your claim.
Are There Actions I Should Avoid After a Car Accident?
What you do after a car accident is important. What you do not do is also crucial.
Two things to not do after a crash are:
- Do not talk to an opposing insurance company. In Maryland, if you were just 1% negligent during the collision, the carrier may deny your claim. Insurance adjusters may try to find you contributorily negligent and deny your claim. When you are talking to them, they will try to coerce you into saying the wrong thing, making you inadvertently liable for what happened. Insurance adjusters are not your friends. Car accident lawyers are.
- Do not accept a lowballed settlement amount. If an insurance adjuster contacts you and offers a quick settlement, do not accept it right away. Instead, you should speak with one of our Frederick car accident attorneys and let us evaluate the offer. It is highly likely that you are being offered an insufficient amount based on your actual damages.
Should I Pursue Legal Action & File a Claim?
You should contact a Frederick, Maryland car accident lawyer if you believe your car accident was the result of another driver’s negligence or recklessness. If you sustained injuries that alter your quality of life, you are entitled to receive financial compensation for your damages. At Portner and Shure, P.A., our experienced car accident lawyers know the procedures, strategies, rules, and timelines necessary to successfully file a personal injury claim.
You can find out more about Portner & Shure, P.A. by watching a brief video about us:
Financial Recovery in Your Car Accident Case
After a car accident in Frederick, Maryland, is it essential to ensure that you are awarded the money you deserve. When the liable driver does not want to admit fault, the only way to get those monies is by filing a successful claim that recovers all damages.
Damages in your car accident include the following:
- Property Damage, Towing, and Loss of Value to your Vehicle
- It is essential to find the right doctor to ensure that your medical expenses are fair and equitable. At Portner & Shure, our Frederick, Maryland car accident lawyers will examine your medical bills to ensure that you were not over-billed or under-treated. We can provide insight to establish that the liability carrier does not take unreasonable medical bill reductions. If you suffered a permanent injury, like a brain injury, your future medical expenses will be estimated and potentially included in your recovery. To estimate future costs, we will need a detailed report from your doctor discussing all your future treatment costs.
- After being injured in a car accident, you may not be able to return to work for an extended or permanent amount of time. Your lost wages may be included in your damages and financial recovery. We will want to obtain documentation from your employer and an “off work” slip from your doctor to better understand all the wages you have lost.
Pain and Suffering Damages
- As a victim of a car accident, you have a right to receive compensation for your mental suffering and emotional trauma. The damages awarded depend on the severity of the injuries suffered in the car accident, the duration of treatment, and future estimates of suffering. We can work tirelessly to ensure you are properly compensated for your pain. Although this will not erase your suffering, this compensation will offer justice to you and your family.
How Do I Negotiate With An Insurance Company?
To negotiate with an insurance company, you should start by not negotiating with them. Instead, hire an experienced Frederick, Maryland car accident lawyer from Portner & Shure, P.A. to conduct negotiations after discussing all aspects of the case with you and thoroughly reviewing your medical bills and records. Our top attorneys have the leverage to wave over insurance companies. Unfortunately, you do not have the same leverage as an individual without a legal background or reputation.
Who Should I Contact If English Is Not My First Language?
If English is not your first language, you can still come to Portner & Shure, P.A. for compassionate and effective legal representation. It can be extremely frustrating to deal with the police officers, insurance adjusters, and other law firms that only speak English if you prefer to speak in another language. Our team of interpreters and bilingual paralegals can communicate with these parties on your behalf.
Members of our law firm are fluent in:
- Chinese – Cantonese
- Chinese – Mandarin
We currently have more than 15 Spanish-speaking paralegals and legal assistants who focus on auto accident cases. Christine Phong, one of our car accident paralegals, has been rightfully recognized in the World Journal and the Washington Chinese News for excellence in her field. Grace Chung is known throughout Frederick, Ellicott City, Columbia, and Rockville as one of the most reliable and successful Korean-speaking car accident paralegals. Our bilingual paralegals and legal assistants help car accident clients share their stories, so our attorneys can better obtain the full compensation they deserve.
Get a whole team on your side. Call our Frederick car accident attorneys at (855) 954-4141 now.