FREDERICK, MARYLAND PREMISES LIABILITY LAWYERS
Slip-and-Fall Attorneys in Frederick
Slip-and-fall cases are considered civil personal injury claims that are governed by premises liability law. Premises liability rules hold that a landowner is liable for the maintenance and upkeep of their property. When this duty of care is neglected and a visitor is injured as a result, the property owner can be held financially liable for resulting damages.
Due to the complexities associated with premises liability claims and the fact that insurance companies fiercely defend these claims, trying to file and manage one on your own is not recommended. Please consider hiring Portner & Shure, P.A. for your Frederick premises liability case. Our attorneys have successfully represented injured victims in the area for more than 25 years, and we would like to apply our talents to your case as well.
Dial (240) 770-0509 now to find out more during a free consultation.
What is a Premises Liability Claim?
A premises liability claim involves an injured person who brings a claim against a property owner after suffering an injury due to the property owner’s neglect of a dangerous condition or defect on their property. However, simply because the accident occurred on someone else’s property does not automatically dictate that the property owner is liable. Instead, the duty of care property owners owe to those on their properties depends on the status of the person entering the property.
Statuses include business invitee (e.g, a customer entering a store), licensee by invitation (e.g., social guest), licensee (e.g., door-to-door salesmen), and an unwelcome trespasser. A business invitee is owed the highest duty of care while a trespasser receives the lowest duty of care.
Theories of Negligence & Defenses in Slip-and-Fall Cases
There are four theories of negligence for slip-and-fall or premises liability cases:
1. A victim can hold a property owner liable by proving that the owner knew about a dangerous condition or defect on their property and failed to repair it or provide a warning about it.
- If a victim is unable to prove that a property owner knew, or should have known, of the condition, the claim will fail. Also, property owners will often claim that they were unable to correct the dangerous condition in a timely manner, such as if the hazard existed only for a few minutes before it hurt someone.
2. A victim can hold the property owner liable by proving that the dangerous condition was open and obvious. The property owner should discover an open and obvious hazard if they conduct reasonable inspections of their property.
3. A victim can hold a property owner liable by proving that the property owner created the dangerous condition.
- This theory is difficult to prove and requires an extensive amount of investigation. Our experienced Frederick premises liability and slip-and-fall attorneys can effectively gather and utilize evidence on your behalf.
4. The defense doctrine of contributory negligence, which Maryland follows, dictates that if a victim is found to have taken a negligent action that contributed to their own injuries, they are excluded from recovering damages.
Dangerous Conditions That Cause Accidents
Property owners have a duty of care to individuals entering their property. Slip and fall accidents can occur when property owners neglect hazards that should have been found and corrected had that duty been upheld.
The following conditions and dangers are commonly cited in premises liability claims:
- Freshly cleaned floors without proper warnings (slippery when wet signs)
- Uneven pavement or sidewalks
- Snow or ice
- Missing handrails
- Malfunctioning elevators or escalators
- Unmarked steps or inclines
- Poorly stacked merchandise or boxes
Injuries & Damages in a Slip-and-Fall Case
Slip-and-fall claimants often seek compensation for severe injuries like:
- Brain injuries
- Back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Shoulder injuries
- Knee injuries
- Broken bones
If you were injured in a slip-and-fall accident, you should immediately seek medical attention to get a full understanding of your injuries and what treatments are needed. Afterward, hire a top Frederick, Maryland premises liability lawyer from our firm. We can help seek full damages on your behalf, including finances to pay for your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, future care, and much more.
We Speak Multiple Languages – Call Today
At Portner & Shure, P.A. we have a tremendous staff of bilingual paralegals and legal assistants who speak Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese), Vietnamese, Korean, and Spanish. We use interpreters to ensure that your story is heard and understood as best as possible. Also, allowing you to communicate using your preferred language can bring an element of comfort to your case that other law firms cannot deliver.
For the past 25 years, our lawyers have successfully protected their clients and won premises liability and slip-and-fall cases in Frederick, Maryland. We have obtained excellent results, countless five-star reviews, tremendous ratings, and national recognition for our work in personal injury. Portner & Shure, P.A. receives no attorney fees unless we win a settlement or judgment in court for you! We are here to help you get the justice you deserve.
Talk details with our team. Call (240) 770-0509 now.
“I just wanna say, thanks for everything! You guys are amazing! The whole team took care of everything!”- Former Client
“She was always going to be available to help me and explain yet again. I appreciate everything she has done. And I appreciate Mr. Portner going to bat for me. What a superstar team Portner and Shure are.”- Former Client
“Portner and Shure Law Firm is truly outstanding. They are very professional and responsive no matter the situation. Hands down one of the BEST in the business.”- Omar M.
We have aggressive litigation tactics, skill, and passion.
We offer legal representation in Spanish, Korean & Chinese languages.
We have recovered over $300 million on behalf of our clients.
We have received countless 5-star Google & Facebook reviews.
We are top-10 rated lawyers.
We have offices in Maryland, Virginia & Washington, D.C.
When you hire Portner & Shure, you can expect more from your representation. In addition to getting an attorney, you will get a committed advocates you has your best interests at heart.