- Bel Air,
- Washington, D.C.,
- Glen Burnie,
- Owings Mills,
- Silver Spring,
- Virginia Beach,
- Newport News,
- Canton Dundalk Essex,
Mr. Portner is licensed to practice in Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C. He represents clients in matters of criminal defense, personal injury, including motor vehicle accidents, medical malpractice, workers' compensation, drug and medical device injuries. He has been recognized by: Time Magazine, the National Top 100 Trial Lawyers for both personal injury and criminal defense, American Top 100 Attorneys, Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Best Attorneys of America, as well as "Top 10" in Maryland by the American Institute of DUI/DWI Attorneys, and American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys 10 Best for Client Satisfaction.
After graduating cum laude from the University of Baltimore Law School and serving as an associates editor of the Law Review, he clerked for the Chief Judge of the Maryland Court of Special Appeals. Thereafter, Mr. Portner served as a litigator at Gordon, Feinblatt, one of Baltimore's largest law firms. There, he obtained countless large settlements, binding arbitration, and trial awards. As a result, the head of the personal injury department selected Mr. Portner to work with co-counsel, Levin, Papantonio (one of the countrys top personal injury firms) in a sick building case in the District of Columbia. The case resulted in a million dollar verdict. Soon thereafter, Mr. Portner left to start Portner & Shure.
Mr. Portner currently supervises the personal injury and criminal defense departments of the law firm. As a result, he can been seen routinely working in a different one of our six staffed offices. Every week he is involved in helping to recover over $500,000 in settlements and trial awards against the major insurance companies. Further, Mr. Portner is in Court constantly in serious criminal matters throughout Maryland, Virginia or D.C.
As a result of his vast litigation experience, Mr. Portner does not want others to view Portner & Shure, P.A. as a personal injury firm that just settles cases. Portner & Shure, because of this aggressive mentality, litigates automobile accident, workers' compensation, medical malpractice, or criminal defense cases almost daily. Insurance companies and prosecutors are well aware of the firms that don't back down, are fully prepared and have a track record of excellent results.
Mr. Portner has personally tried and won hundreds of cases against some of the top insurance defense attorneys and prosecutors in both State and Federal Courts throughout MD, VA, and DC. In the last two years alone he has recovered approximately fifty million dollars for his clients. Further, each month he routinely figures out how to reduce serious criminal sentences for clients, and in most instances avoid jail time.
Mr. Portner has dedicated a considerable amount of Firm resources to help non-english speaking clients stand up to insurance companies and the Government in criminal cases. The Firm provides the highest level of experience to Hispanic, Chinese, Korean, Vietnamese, and Japanese accident victims within the Maryland, Virginia, and D.C. areas. The firm has a staff of over thirty multi-lingual Spanish speaking paralegals or legal assistants, as well as bilingual Chinese and Korean speaking paralegals who work closely with clients. As a result, no longer are many foreign speaking accident victims at a disadvantage when battling the insurance companies after an automobile accident or forced to use experienced criminal defense attorneys.
Mr. Portner dedicates considerable time to all of his endeavors but believes each personal injury or criminal case should be treated as if it's the only case of the firm. He has obtained approximately $300 million in recoveries because of his attention to detail, willing to litigate, and insistence that his staff have constant communication with each client.
Recoveries from the firm and Mr. Portner can be viewed in the Case Results section of this site. Further, results in recent criminal cases can now be viewed in the Criminal Defense section.
- Maryland, 1988
- District of Columbia, 1989
- Virginia 2018
- English (Primary)
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury – Plaintiff
- Medical Malpractice
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – Plaintiff
- Workers' Compensation Law
- Criminal Defense
- 10% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Professional Associations & Memberships
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Maryland Association for Justice (President's Club), Member
- National College of DUI Defense, Member
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Maryland State Bar Association, Member
- Howard County Bar Association, Member
- District of Columbia Bar Association, Member
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland, Member
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Member
- Superior Court for the District of Columbia, Member
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Member
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Member
- American Institute of DUI |10 Best
- American Institute of Criminal Law | 10 Best
- Best Attorneys of America Lifetime Charter Member
- National Top 25 Trial Lawyers for Workers Comp
Honors & Awards
- Platinum Seal Award, 2013-Present
- Trial Board of Regents Litigation Award for General Injury and Auto Accidents
- Top 100 Trial Award for Personal Injury and Criminal Defense
- American Institute of Criminal Law Attorneys 2019 10 Best Criminal Law Attorneys for Client Satisfaction