Salisbury: Birth Injury Lawyers
Fighting for Those Without a Voice
Birth injuries are a severely distressing type of medical malpractice. Innocent children who suffer due to the negligence of a medical provider will likely face a lifetime of struggles and their families face a never-ending battle. In some cases, a birth injury can cause a child to pass away.
Nothing can undo the pain and suffering you and your family have endured after a birth injury caused by a medical provider’s mistakes. However, a successful birth injury lawsuit may permit your family to pay for your child’s treatment, provide your child with a high quality of life, and hold the responsible party accountable for their wrongful behavior. Lawsuits involving birth injury are multifaceted and tough to prove, though. Medical malpractice insurance providers use hard-hitting scare tactics that are backed by mountains of resources and experience.
Our top-rated Salisbury birth injury lawyers from Portner & Shure, P.A. want to stand alongside your family in this battle. Our legal team understands that your family is suffering, so we can shoulder the legal burden and let you focus on healing. We know the inner workings of medical malpractice litigation and are not scared to take on medical insurance providers and their defense attorneys.
Personal injury cases are undertaken on a contingency fee basis. This means that we only receive attorneys’ fees if we obtain a successful settlement or judgment in court. We only win if you win. There is no downside to reaching out to a member of our team to discuss your potential case.
Contact the Salisbury birth injury lawyers at Portner & Shure, P.A. today for a free and confidential consultation: (855) 954-4141.
What are Birth Injuries?
Birth injuries are injuries that occur to the child or mother during pregnancy, labor, or delivery. One example of a birth injury is where a pediatrician fails to diagnose a heart condition during infancy, leading to the child suffering severe developmental disabilities. While we expect doctors to exercise the appropriate standard of care during the delivery process, this is not always the case. Doctors sometimes fail to behave in accordance with the requisite level of detail, resulting in infant injuries.
Common Causes of Birth Injuries
To bring a successful birth injury claim, the plaintiff must prove that the child’s birth injury was the consequence of a medical provider’s failure to uphold the standard of care. This oftentimes requires review by an expert in the field, which the attorneys at Portner & Shure can assist you with.
Causes of birth injuries include:
- Physical trauma: Inappropriate delivery techniques, failure to perform a C-section, vacuum extractor errors, forceps errors, etc.
- Brain Injuries: Lack of oxygen, resulting in hypoxic and anoxic brain damage.
- Placental abruption: When the placenta tears away from the uterine wall, which may disrupt blood flow to the baby.
- Shoulder dystocia: Baby’s shoulder becomes stuck while traveling down the birth canal.
- Oligohydramnios: Low amniotic fluid, which may result in umbilical cord compression.
- Infection: Medical provider’s failure to monitor for infection; for example, cephalohematoma is an infection that gets into the amniotic fluid and sac surrounding the baby, which is typically due to bacteria being present within the vagina and ascending into the uterus.
- Maternal hemorrhaging: Disruption in blood flow, which may result in the baby not having enough blood supply to vital organs.
- Disruption of flow in the umbilical cord: Also referred to as umbilical cord prolapse, this injury leaves the baby with insufficient blood supply to their brain.
Different Types of Birth Injuries
Common birth injuries include:
- Erb’s palsy: Caused by nerve damage to a baby’s neck during delivery, which is also referred to as a brachial plexus injury.
- Birth asphyxia: Suffocation during birth.
- Hypoxia/anoxia: Lack of oxygen to a baby’s brain, causing brain death.
- Cerebral palsy: Most commonly the result of an infection or lack of oxygen.
- Facial paralysis: Facial injury that causes permanent paralysis.
- Fractures: Bone fractures, which can be caused by pulling the baby with too much force.
- Maternal or infant death: Final result of unaddressed fetal distress in some cases.
How a Birth Injury Attorney Can Assist You
Like other types of medical malpractice claims, is it not enough to simply assert that you or your child suffered an injury during the birthing process. To prove that the medical professional was negligent and did not comply with the acceptable standard of care, an intensive investigation of the circumstances surrounding the birth injury is often necessary. Portner & Shure, P.A. has access to medical professionals to assist in assessing the facts surrounding your case. We have the resources and knowledge to work by your side and uphold your best interests.
An experienced birth injury attorney understands the complexity of medical malpractice cases, can evaluate your claim, and discuss your likelihood of success. Birth injury claims are difficult, which may compound the stress your family is facing. To ease some of this stress, you should work with a lawyer who will investigate the case, gather supporting information and evidence, and aggressively protect your family against the profit-driven insurance company.
Obtaining proper medical care for your young infant is critical, but the reality is that the cost of such care can be exorbitant. Thus, even in cases where family members are not litigious, a birth injury lawsuit may prove the best course of action. A medical malpractice claim or lawsuit can provide economic and non-economic damages. In a successful claim, the baby and/or mother will obtain compensation for medical expenses in addition to pain and suffering damages, which can help alleviate financial stresses.
Contact Portner & Shure, P.A. Today
The Salisbury birth injury attorneys at Portner & Shure, P.A. have represented birth injury clients for more than 25 years. We understand the many nuances involved in such cases and are prepared to battle on behalf of you and your child. Our client-centered approach has earned us countless five-star reviews from previous clients, and our top-rate lawyers have also been recognized by the legal community and earned numerous awards based on our successful advocacy. We have worked hard to earn a reputation for relentless client advocacy. Let us help your family.
To learn more about how we can assist in your birth injury case, give us a call at (855) 954-4141 or submit an online contact form.