View Site In:
Back to Top
  • Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
  • The National Trial Lawyers
  • Best Attorneys of America - Lifetime Charter Member
  • Million Dollar Advocates Forum, Jonathan N. Portner
  • Avvo rating 10.0
  • Avvo Rating 10.0
  • 10 Best in 2016 Client Satisfaction
  • 5 Star Google Reviews
  • 10.0 Superb Rating - Top Attorney Personal Injury
  • SuperLawyers 2018
  • MV TLA
  • Lead Cousel Rating
  • CTLA
  • American Association for Justice
  • Maryland Association for Justice

Richmond, Virginia Immigration Lawyers

Visa Applications, Status Changes & More

When you enter the United States by using a nonimmigrant or temporary visa, it is usually for a short-term reason, such as visiting the country for tourism. However, you may later wish to change the purpose of your stay to another type of nonimmigrant visa category. For example, if you entered the U.S. to visit family but decided you would like to go to university without leaving the U.S., you would need to submit an application to change your status from a tourist (B-2 visa) to student status (F-1).

If this legal process seems like more than you are prepared to handle, then you should not try to go through it on your own. Instead, team up with our Richmond immigration lawyers from Portner & Shure, P.A. We can help you file a change of status application, as well as for initial immigration applications.

Call (855) 954-4141 today to see how we can help with your immigration case.

How to Change Your Visa Status

To be eligible for an immigration status change, you must meet these requirements:

  • You were lawfully admitted into the U.S. on a nonimmigrant visa.
  • The type of nonimmigrant visa you entered on is still valid and has not expired.
  • You have not done anything to violate the conditions of your status. For example, you cannot change your status if you overstayed the time you were originally allowed to stay on your nonimmigrant visa.

Also, keep in mind that not all nonimmigrant visas can change status. It can take several months before you receive a final decision on your application. While you can lawfully remain in the U.S. while your application is pending, you cannot change your activity in the U.S. until you receive an approval. For example, you cannot start going to school or working for a specific employer until the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) approves your case.

Reach Out to Us When You Want to Know More

If you think you eligible to change status or have questions about the application process, please contact our office. Our Richmond immigration lawyers can assess your case, aid you with the process, and ensure you provide all necessary documents to set your case or application up for approval. To learn more about the change of status application process or the other immigration services our firm offers, call (855) 954-4141 now.

What Our Clients Have to Say

  • The ladies who handled my case, Iram Ashraf & Diane Lazo were a Godsend! -Bianca C.
  • Portner & Shure worked hard on my case and I will recommend their office to everyone. -R.M.L. (Case #215313)
  • am Brown was kind, caring, and worked diligently to resolve my case in a very timely manner. -T.M.B. (Case #214156)
  • I highly recommend Portner & Shure. -C.M.B. (Case #216398)
Read More