Richmond, Virginia Car Accident Lawyer
Car accidents are traumatic experiences that no one expects to be in, yet thousands happen every single day across the country. To limit the negative consequences that a car accident can cause, you should quickly find a top local accident attorney, like the Richmond car accident attorneys at Portner & Shure! We have been handling serious accident cases for more than 25 years, and our track record of successes shows we know what we are doing.
Before choosing us, though, we encourage you to look into the 4 Rs of legal talent: Ratings, Reviews, Results, and Recognition. In these categories, we have countless 5-star reviews, numerous 10/10 ratings, and national recognition for past case results that recovered more than $300,000 million in total. The trauma and emotional toll of a car accident are often overwhelming and leave you feeling debilitated. While you rest and focus on yourself, allow us at Portner & Shure to take care of you and your family.
Please dial (855) 954-4141 today to discuss your legal options with our Richmond car accident lawyers.
5 Things You Should Do After a Car Accident in Virginia
To better pursue fair compensation for your damages, you should do the following after a car accident:
- Immediately call the police if the collision caused injuries: The police will likely take statements, make a report, obtain relevant insurance information, predict fault, and, at a minimum, establish a record of the occurrence.
- Take photographs: After the accident, pull out your smartphone. Don’t move the vehicles or talk to anyone just yet. Take pictures of the crash scene and any visible injuries.
- Leave your vehicle and identify any witnesses to help establish fault: Obtain statements of anyone who saw how the accident occurred. Make sure the statement contains their contact information, like their address, phone number, and email for future reference. Eyewitness statements may ensure that liability is accepted by the at-fault driver’s insurance company. Don’t assume that the driver of the other vehicle will be as cooperative once they talk to their own insurance company.
- Gather all relevant information: Secure all relevant documentation including but not limited to the other driver’s information, passenger information, license plate numbers, and crash details. You will want to note the time, place, weather conditions, and traffic situation in your description.
- Seek medical attention: Of course, if you are hurt, you need to see a doctor or go to the hospital or local urgent care to get appropriate medical attention. When pursuing an accident claim, you also must take this step to make a record of your injuries. Insurance adjusters look at when you went to the doctor and at the list of all your complaints. Try to avoid a gap in your treatments. Make sure when talking to your medical providers that you discuss all of your symptoms, complaints, and injuries. Anything left out will look suspicious later.
2 Things You Should Never Do After a Car Accident
- After the accident, do not talk to the adverse insurance company. The insurance adjuster is not your friend and is in the business of reducing that carrier’s claim expense. In fact, if you say anything that makes you even 1% at fault, the carrier will deny your claim.
- Do not accept any settlement offer. The carrier may call you and offer you a settlement, which will be smaller than what you require. It will not and cannot take into account the extent of your medical expenses, pain and suffering, and future missing wages.
Should You Retain an Attorney & Pursue a Personal Injury Claim?
If you were injured in the accident, you should retain an experienced Richmond, Virginia car accident lawyer from Portner & Shure to make things easier for you. We are respected by all the major insurance carriers and know how to get you the financial compensation you deserve. Our initial consultations are free, so you can learn about your options and our legal services without reaching for your wallet.
What Can I Expect to Recover in My Accident Case?
After an accident, the law provides numerous types of damages to restore your finances and day-to-day comfort.
The most common types of damages sought in a car accident claim are:
- Property damage: Including total loss value, repairs, or diminished value, as well as towing and rental car expenses.
- Medical expenses: All medical expenses caused by the accident that are fair and reasonable will be paid. To the extent that the bills are high, the attorneys at Portner & Shure will pursue fair reductions. If you suffered a permanent injury, future medical expenses can be estimated and recovered. To be successful, our Richmond accident lawyer will want to obtain a detailed medical report from a physician detailing the future costs.
- Lost Wages: If you cannot return to work, lost wages should be listed in your claim. Our experienced car accident paralegals will obtain disability information from the doctor who puts you off work, and the hour and wage loss information from your employer.
- Non-economic damages: Including pain, suffering, and inconvenience damages. Recovering these types of damages are dependent on your Richmond, Virginia accident lawyer’s understanding of how the accident affected your daily life at home and work, including activities and sleep, and for how long. We will ask you to relay this in detail, either in writing or over the phone.
Who Negotiates with the Insurance Company?
Experience and leverage matters in a car accident claim. Mr. Portner and Mr. Rahi are involved in all aspects of claim negotiation. Both have years of experience and have obtained excellent results from each and every insurance company. If the offers are not high enough, we do sue on behalf of our clients. Insurance companies know we sue and generally prevail. This, of course, helps in all aspects of our negotiations.
We Can Help If English is Not Your First Language
It can be extremely frustrating for injured members of Hispanic, Latinx, Korean, and Chinese communities to deal with the police, liability adjusters, and attorneys who don’t speak their first language. At Portner & Shure, P.A. in Richmond, we have experienced car accident paralegals who are fluent in these languages. Our Spanish-speaking injury paralegals have helped our team obtain millions in recoveries. One of our Richmond accident paralegals, Christine Phong, is known throughout Virginia for her exceptional auto accident work. Grace Chung, our Korean speaking paralegal, is known for her excellent work that has helped land impressive recoveries throughout Virginia.
Learn more about our entire team and our services by dialing (855) 954-4141 today!
“I just wanna say, thanks for everything! You guys are amazing! The whole team took care of everything!”- Former Client
“She was always going to be available to help me and explain yet again. I appreciate everything she has done. And I appreciate Mr. Portner going to bat for me. What a superstar team Portner and Shure are.”- Former Client
“Portner and Shure Law Firm is truly outstanding. They are very professional and responsive no matter the situation. Hands down one of the BEST in the business.”- Omar M.
We have aggressive litigation tactics, skill, and passion.
We offer legal representation in Spanish, Korean & Chinese languages.
We have recovered over $300 million on behalf of our clients.
We have received countless 5-star Google & Facebook reviews.
We are top-10 rated lawyers.
We have offices in Maryland, Virginia & Washington, D.C.
When you hire Portner & Shure, you can expect more from your representation. In addition to getting an attorney, you will get a committed advocates you has your best interests at heart.