Alexandria Truck Accident Lawyers
Big Trucks Mean Big Accidents & Bigger Injuries
The bigger the truck, the bigger the potential accident. Commercial trucks are massive vehicles that traverse the United States. In addition to the large size of trucks, they are extremely heavy, which makes them all the more dangerous.
Commercial trucks drive through Alexandria transporting heavy goods. Commercial truck companies must be held responsible if they cause a terrible crash with a smaller vehicle. When operating big trucks, truck drivers owe big responsibilities to the other vulnerable drivers on the road.
After being injured in a truck accident or tractor-trailer accident, call the Alexandria truck accident attorneys at Portner & Shure, P.A. Because of our client-centered advocacy, we have recovered more than $300 million for our clients, many of whom have been truck accident victims. We understand how to battle for our clients, and how to persist in the face of aggressive insurance companies.
Members of our professional staff speak English, Spanish, Korean, Vietnamese, and Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese). Language presents no barrier for us to effectively advocate on our client’s behalf. Call (855) 954-4141 today for more information on how our Alexandria lawyers can help your family after a truck accident.
Truck Accidents in Alexandria
Commercial truck drivers are oftentimes under immense pressure to make deadlines. This means that truckers find themselves consistently driving for extensive periods, far more than permitted under the guidelines of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). Long hours alone on the road increases the potential for truck accidents.
Truck accidents are often caused by:
- Truck drivers speeding
- Excessively tired truck drivers
- Drug abuse and intoxication of truck driver
- Illegal driving maneuvers by truck drivers
Given the high potential for fatal truck accidents, truck companies need to behave accordingly. Unfortunately, this is not often the case. Commercial trucking companies often prove to be motivated by profits.
Truck Accident Injuries & Compensation
Given the enormous size of commercial trucks, the unfortunate victims of truck accidents sustain substantial injuries. A motorist is simply no match for a 40-ton vehicle speeding right at their car with no regard for them.
After being involved in a truck collision, victims often suffer:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Fractured bones
- Skin contusions and bruising
The laws in Virginia permit truck accident victims in Alexandria to obtain financial compensation via claim or lawsuit. Motorists involved in truck accidents typically necessitate immediate medical care, surgery, and extended hospital stays. Even after all major medical procedures are complete, physical therapy and rehabilitation can proceed for years. Extensive rehabilitation time means victims are unable to work for months, and sometimes even years.
The attorneys at Portner & Shure, P.A. work tirelessly to obtain the maximum compensation possible for our clients after a truck accident. We recognize the burden imposed by a truck accident, due to no fault of the victim, and can convey this plight effectively to insurance adjusters.
Tractor-Trailer Accidents Statistics
Tractor-trailer accident statistics make this vulnerability very clear. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), of the 4,163 people that died in large truck crashes in 2018, about 67% were occupants of cars and other passenger vehicles while 15% were pedestrians, bicyclists, or motorcyclists. 52% of deaths in large truck crashes in 2018 occurred on major roads, 33% occurred on interstates and freeways, and 14% occurred on minor roads.
Common causes of tractor-trailer accidents include:
- Limited truck braking capabilities: When tractor-trailers are loaded, they require 20–40% more space than standard cars to come to a complete stop. This number increases when there is inclement weather or if the brakes are not maintained properly.
- Truck driver fatigue: Surveys indicate that many truck drivers work longer than permitted under federal regulations. An operator’s extreme tiredness can slow reaction time.
- Mechanical failures: When truck parts are defective or inoperable, trucks become a moving hazard.
Tractor-trailer driver negligence:
- Accidents caused by a driver’s failure to yield right of way.
- Collisions due to a truck driver changing lanes without checking the blind spots.
- Distracted truck drivers failing to provide sufficient braking time.
- Tractor-trailer drivers speeding.
- Accidents based on truck driver fatigue.
- Truck driver intoxication accidents.
Types of Tractor-Trailer Accidents
Certain types of accidents are more common in the context of tractor-trailers.
- Override accidents: These typically occur when a truck driver is unable to slow down in time and runs over a smaller vehicle.
- Underride accidents: Tractor-trailers are taller and have greater ground clearance than standard passenger vehicles, and this can result in smaller vehicles going under the truck. Underride accidents may happen when a passenger vehicle fails to provide adequate space to brake or because the truck did not have the required brake lights, when a driver backs up without checking the surrounding area, or when a tractor trailer’s requisite reflective tape is missing or ineffective.
- Rollover accidents: The height of a tractor-trailer makes it more prone to rolling over. This risk increases when tractor-trailers are overloaded. Further, if the cargo is improperly secured, it can shift and this increases the chance of a rollover accident.
Battling for Truck Accident Victims
After enduring a tragic truck collision, the lawyers at Portner & Shure, P.A. would be happy to step in and assist your family. Get in touch with our Alexandria truck accident lawyers. Our award-winning attorneys are familiar with investigating accident circumstances and seeking out critical case components like travel logs and trucker employment files. Insurance defense companies recognize the Portner & Shure, P.A. name. Defense firms know that we battle for our clients and take our claims seriously.
Call (855) 954-4141 or contact us online for more information about how to proceed after an Alexandria truck accident.
“Communicative, supportive and patient!”- Former Client
“He cares for his clients with his whole heart!”- Former Client
“I really appreciate all her hard work!”- Anon
We have offices in Maryland, Virginia & Washington, D.C.
We are top-10 rated lawyers.
We have received countless 5-star Google & Facebook reviews.
We have recovered over $300 million on behalf of our clients.
We offer legal representation in Spanish, Korean & Chinese languages.
We have aggressive litigation tactics, skill, and passion.
When you hire Portner & Shure, you can expect more from your representation. In addition to getting an attorney, you will get a committed advocates you has your best interests at heart.