Alexandria Car Accident Attorneys
Fighting for Car Accident Victims in Virginia
Alexandria, Virginia is a hub of activity. This is partially because of its proximity to the United States Capital. All of this activity, unfortunately, also means congested roadways. The number of fatal car accidents in Alexandria has steadily increased in the past five years.
If you were involved in a car accident in Northern Virginia, it is critical that you retain a skilled personal injury lawyer to help you navigate the process. Like many car accident victims discover, insurance companies simply refuse to provide adequate financial compensation whenever they can get away with it. An experienced litigation team can advocate on your behalf, protect your interests, and fight for the compensation you are owed. The litigators at Portner & Shure, P.A. will do just that.
Portner & Shure, P.A. has more than 25 years of experience advocating on behalf of car accident victims. We are famous for our client-centered service and hard-hitting negotiation skills. Our reputation is best demonstrated in our plentiful five-star reviews from prior clients and many professional awards. We provide all of our personal injury representation on a contingency fee basis. This means that you do not owe any attorneys’ fees unless we achieve a favorable result or judgment on your behalf.
Call us at (855) 954-4141 for a free, confidential consultation.
What to Do Immediately After a Car Accident
Given the traumatic nature of a car accident, many people cannot remember the moment after the accident. However, if you are willing and able, there are a few steps you should take to ensure the viability of your future personal injury case.
After being injured in a car accident, you should do the followings things (if applicable and appropriate):
- Call Emergency Services: If you or anyone were injured in the crash, you should immediately call 9-1-1. Emergency services will be able to quickly transport the injured parties to the nearest hospital for immediate medical attention.
- Get Medical Attention: Sometimes, the severity of your injuries takes hours or days to manifest. Consequently, even if you do not require emergency medical attention, you should see a physician immediately after the accident. Only an experienced medical doctor can accurately diagnose your injuries and evaluate the proper course of action.
- Report the Accident to the Police: If the accident involved bodily injury or substantial property damage, you should contact the police. After dialing 9-1-1, a local police officer is typically dispatched to the scene of the accident. Once a police officer arrives at the scene, they will prepare a report delineating the accident. When talking to the officer, be direct and certain.
- Record the Accident Scene: The most powerful evidence for your case will be clear pictures of the accident scene. This includes photographs of your car, the car that hit you, and your injuries.
- Get into a Position of Safety: While it is preferable to avoid moving the cars until the accident is documented, you need to focus on your safety first. If you are in the middle of the road, you should get to a place of safety as soon as possible. Far too many car accidents occur when other drivers turn to look at the accident and then crash into it.
- Exchanging Information: This step is often the most critical for an accident case. Take a picture of the other driver’s license. Further, request their phone number and email address. Make sure to get the at-fault party’s insurance information.
- Witnesses: In addition to the other driver’s information, if possible, get the names and contact information of anyone who saw the accident. Witnesses are extremely valuable to the extent liability is contested.
- Contact an Attorney: If you were harmed in a car accident, it is critical that you retain a knowledgeable lawyer. It is best to retain legal counsel prior to speaking to anyone from the other driver’s insurance company. The insurance adjuster may try and call you and request a recorded statement. You have no obligation to provide a written or verbal statement to them. Typically, it is in your best interest to avoid providing such a statement because they will try and use it against you to dispute your claim.
Car Accident Injuries & Medical Care
Many injuries caused by car accidents require treatment at a hospital, urgent care, or physician’s office to heal.
The typical injuries sustained in a car accident include:
- Concussions (traumatic brain injuries)
- Contusions, lacerations, and bruises
- Broken bones
- Spine/back injuries
- Shoulder injuries
Car accident victims typically require medical care and treatment from a chiropractor and/or physical therapist. In some instances, people injured in a car accident are deterred from obtaining medical treatment given they do not have health insurance. An experienced attorney will review your own car insurance policy and evaluate if you have medical payment coverage able. This benefit applies to any/all of your medical or PT expenses.
Contesting Car Accident Cases
Car accident victims constantly find themselves head-to-head with goliath insurance companies. These experienced insurance defense attorneys utilize all the resources in their vast arsenal to dispute, devalue, or outright deny the claims of car accident injury victims. In our 25 years of experience, we have gone up against nearly all of the major insurance carriers.
Typically, insurance companies deny the claims of accident victims for reasons such as:
- Insufficient proof: This defense is best countered by a thorough police report and pictures taken at the scene of the accident.
- Challenging the car accident victim’s injuries: This denial is most effectively combated by thorough medical records. An experienced medical provider will recommend you with thorough and comprehensible medical records.
- Minimal property damage: They say there is so little property damage that an injury must be impossible. This is empty logic that we can counter in and out of court.
- Contributory negligence: This affirmative defense permits the negligent person to avoid responsibility by arguing that the victim’s own actions contributed to their injuries. If effective, this argument means the victim cannot recover any damages.
Car Accident Cases in Virginia
There are two essential things to note about bringing a personal injury claim in Virginia:
- First, the statute of limitations in Virginia is two years. This is true in most civil cases. If two years pass from the date of the car accident without you filing a claim, you likely will lose your ability to recover any compensation.
- Second, the side bringing the personal injury claim must prove their case by a preponderance of the evidence. This requires the injured party to show that the other driver was responsible for the accident and that the victim sustained injuries due to the incident.
The Power of an Accomplished Attorney on Your Side
The Alexandria car accident attorneys at Portner & Shure, P.A. know how to construct a successful case. This starts with a thorough investigation of your accident. We know the appropriate questions to ask, and who to talk to. We utilize all of this information to build your case. When negotiating with these massive insurance companies, we consistently encourage the adjusters to step into our client’s shoes. Each client’s experience and the pain and suffering they endured are unique. At Portner & Shure, P.A. our clients are more than a number. We work tirelessly to present the accident in the light most favorable to our clients.
We are proud of our reputation for skilled advocacy and successful results. Our Alexandria auto accident lawyers have earned accolades and respect based on their commitment to successful and client-centered advocacy. Let us help you, too.
Call our office at (855) 954-4141 or contact us online to schedule a complimentary case evaluation.
“I just wanna say, thanks for everything! You guys are amazing! The whole team took care of everything!”- Former Client
“She was always going to be available to help me and explain yet again. I appreciate everything she has done. And I appreciate Mr. Portner going to bat for me. What a superstar team Portner and Shure are.”- Former Client
“Portner and Shure Law Firm is truly outstanding. They are very professional and responsive no matter the situation. Hands down one of the BEST in the business.”- Omar M.
We have aggressive litigation tactics, skill, and passion.
We offer legal representation in Spanish, Korean & Chinese languages.
We have recovered over $300 million on behalf of our clients.
We have received countless 5-star Google & Facebook reviews.
We are top-10 rated lawyers.
We have offices in Maryland, Virginia & Washington, D.C.
When you hire Portner & Shure, you can expect more from your representation. In addition to getting an attorney, you will get a committed advocates you has your best interests at heart.