Baltimore Car Accident Lawyer
Call Our Firm After Being in a Wreck
Baltimore City and the surrounding areas have some of the most congested roadways in Maryland. As a result of this congestion and the sheer number of negligent automobile drivers that are present on the road, car crashes occur with great frequency in the Baltimore metropolitan area.
If you recently suffered injuries due to a car accident, a Baltimore, Maryland car accident lawyer can help you obtain the compensation you deserve. The experienced attorneys at Portner & Shure, P.A. have spent more than 25 years fighting insurance companies on behalf of car accident victims from Maryland’s Hispanic, Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese), Vietnamese, and Korean communities.
On This Page:
- Common Causes
- Common Injuries
- Should I Seek Medical Treatment?
- What Financial Compensation Can I Recover?
- How a Lawyer Can Help You
- Denials & Defenses
- Frequently Asked Questions
Contact the award-winning attorneys at Portner & Shure, P.A., at (855) 954-4141 or online.
Common Causes of Auto Accidents
As a bustling metropolitan area, car accidents are a common occurrence in Baltimore. There are several factors that play into the causes behind these accidents and understanding them can help drivers take steps to stay safe on the road.
- Distracted Driving: This can include texting or talking on the phone while driving, adjusting the radio, eating or drinking, or even just daydreaming. Drivers who are not fully focused on the road are more likely to make mistakes and cause accidents.
- Speeding: Drivers who exceed the speed limit are more likely to lose control of their vehicles, especially in adverse weather conditions or on slippery roads. Additionally, speeding reduces the amount of time that drivers have to react to unexpected situations, increasing the likelihood of accidents.
- Impaired Driving: This can include driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, as well as driving while drowsy or fatigued. Impaired drivers are more likely to make mistakes and have slower reaction times, which can lead to accidents.
- Reckless Driving: Reckless driving is a broad category that includes a variety of dangerous behaviors on the road including running red lights or stop signs, weaving in and out of traffic, and tailgating. Reckless drivers are more likely to cause accidents and put themselves and others at risk.
- Poor Road Conditions: Poor road conditions, such as potholes, uneven pavement, and inadequate lighting can also contribute to accidents. Drivers who are not aware of these hazards may be caught off guard and lose control of their vehicles.
Injuries as a Result of a Car Accident
Automobile collisions produce a variety of injuries, including:
- Brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Muscle sprains
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
Should I Seek Medical Treatment After a Car Accident Injury?
While the severity of these injuries depends on the severity of the collision, these injuries should all be addressed with medical treatment at a hospital. Medical treatment for less severe injuries can be obtained through a primary care physician or an urgent care facility, though. Regrettably, some victims forgo medical treatment due to lacking health insurance because they are unaware that their personal automobile insurance policies provide Personal Injury Protection (PIP) insurance, which can be used to pay for medical treatment.
Car accident victims usually require additional medical treatment such as physical therapy. A primary care provider can refer a victim to a physical therapist. Personal Injury Protection insurance can also be used to pay for physical therapy.
What Financial Compensation Can I Recover in a Car Accident Case?
Car accident victims are legally entitled to be compensated for their economic and non-economic damages.
Car accident victims can claim:
- Medical bills
- Physical therapy bills
- Past lost wages
- Future lost wages
- Pain and suffering
How a Car Accident Lawyer Can Help You
Retaining a Baltimore, Maryland car accident lawyer can help your chances of obtaining a favorable financial settlement or financial judgment at trial. The attorneys at Portner & Shure, P.A. know how to effectively investigate the facts surrounding a car accident. We are skilled at collecting useful evidence, such as photographs, witness statements, and police reports. Finally, the attorneys at Portner & Shure, P.A. are excellent at preparing settlement demands and negotiating with insurance companies to obtain favorable deals on behalf of their clients.
Denials & Defenses in Car Accident Cases
To win a personal injury case, the victim must prove their case by a preponderance of the evidence, i.e., 51%. The victim must prove that the other driver caused the collision and that they suffered injuries as a result of the accident.
Maryland law provides several legal defenses in personal injury cases. Insurance companies routinely invoke these defenses and deny personal injury claims, which leaves injured victims no choice but to file a lawsuit.
- Insurance companies routinely invoke the defense of contributory negligence. This defense bars a personal injury victim from recovering anything if evidence is presented to show that the victim acted negligently and that their negligence contributed to the accident. Insurance companies try to shift blame onto the victim.
- Insurance companies often claim that a victim suffered no injuries despite medical documentation. Preexisting injuries can be unproven with convincing evidence gathered by your attorney.
Contact a Baltimore, Maryland Car Accident Lawyer
The attorneys at Portner & Shure, P.A. fight for their clients. We know that a car accident is a devastating event. We know that many car accident victims are often treated unfairly by insurance companies. Our representation can even out the playing field.
To schedule a free consultation regarding your Baltimore car accident case, call (855) 954-4141 or contact us online.
Baltimore Car Accident FAQs
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
If you suffered injuries as a result of an automobile collision in Baltimore or the surrounding areas, obtaining medical treatment for those injuries is essential. It is also advisable to contact the police and report the collision. If you are able, you should document the scene of the collision. Taking photographs of the scene of the collision along with photographing the vehicle should be top priorities. If any bystanders witnessed the collision, you should get their names and contact information. You should also write down the name and insurance information for the other driver.
Following the collision, the other driver’s insurance carrier will contact you. You should not speak with them until you are represented by a Baltimore car accident lawyer from our firm.
Who Pays for Car Repairs After an Accident?
Car accidents create a lot of uncertainty. Victims often wonder how their property damage will be repaired or if they will have to obtain a rental car. With regards to property damage, assuming that the other driver’s insurance company admits fault, they often repair a victim’s property damage. Assuming that the other driver’s insurance company admits fault, they often also pay for a victim’s rental vehicle.
Assuming that the other driver’s insurance company refuses to admit fault, a victim can repair their property damage and obtain a rental car through their own insurance company if they have property damage and rental car coverage on their insurance policy. If a victim does not have rental car or property damage coverage, a victim can pay for their property damage and rental. These expenses can be claimed as part of a victim’s economic damages.
OUR ATTORNEYS, YOUR ADVOCATESServing Maryland, Virginia & Washington, D.C
Jonathan N. Portner
Senior Associate Attorney
Richard D. Shure
Valerie F. Portner
Pablo Pérez Salido
Criminal Department Manager, Director of Internet Marketing, Firm Operations Manager
Personal Injury Claims Manager: MD/VA/DC, Immigration Department Manager, Office Manager: Tyson's Virginia Office, Marketing: In Charge of TV, Radio, and Facebook Advertising
Wheaton Office Manager, Frederick Office Manager, Head of Human Resources, Marketing: In Charge of Physician/Chiropractor Referrals
Kevin A. Ruby
In Memoriam 1972-2018
Brandy Moreira Soriano
Accounting Department, Chinese Department Assistant
Hyun Young Chung (Grace)
WHAT OUR CLIENTS HAVE TO SAYSERVING Clients throughout MARYLAND, VIRGINIA & WASHINGTON D.C.
“Portner & Shure are top of the line.”- Former Client
“They will not disappoint you.”- Former Client
“I highly recommend.”- D.D.
WHY HIRE US?EXPECT MORE WITH PORTNER & SHURE
We have aggressive litigation tactics, skill, and passion.
We offer legal representation in Spanish, Korean & Chinese languages.
We have recovered over $350 million on behalf of our clients.
We have received countless 5-star Google & Facebook reviews.
We are top-10 rated lawyers.
We have offices in Maryland, Virginia & Washington, D.C.
When you hire Portner & Shure, you can expect more from your representation. In addition to getting an attorney, you will get a committed advocates you has your best interests at heart.