There are many uncertainties you face when charged with a crime in Virginia. The first of which is who will defend your rights? Choosing a criminal defense lawyer will directly impact the outcome of your case, so you need to be prepared with questions when you come in for a consultation with an attorney who specializes in the area of crime you’ve allegedly committed.
Some of the most important questions our criminal defense lawyers in Virginia feel are essential to ask during a consultation include:
- How Long Have You Been Practicing Criminal Law? You want to choose a defense attorney who has handled criminal cases for at least a few years, which you can also find out by reading attorney reviews.
- Do You Specialize in an Area of Criminal Law? Our attorneys, for example, specialize in assault, burglary and robbery, DUI/DWI and drug charges, theft, fraud, traffic violations, and prostitution.
- How Often Do Your Criminal Cases Go to Trial? If your goal is to go to trial, you’ll need to make sure you ask this question as a lawyer who often settles for plea bargains and has little trial experience may not be the one you want fighting your case.
- Will You be the Only One Working on My Case? This comes down to your preference as there are perks to both options. Do you want a criminal defense lawyer who will tirelessly work on your case by his or herself so as to make sure nothing gets lost in the shuffle? Or, do you want a team of lawyers who can provide different perspectives for your options?
- How Would You Handle My Case? You’ll find out quickly if the lawyer you’re meeting with will want you to take a plea or see the case through trial.
These are just a few of many questions you should be prepared to ask when you come to your initial consultation. Make sure you write down whatever else comes to mind, so you know you’re making the right decision for your criminal case. We understand that this is a difficult time as you process what’s happened and what you’re accused of doing or being a part of.
The goal of a criminal defense lawyer encompasses many things including:
- Protect your rights
- Understand your goals for a plea bargain or going to trial
- Keep you comprised of progress and maintain communication
- Create compelling arguments to persuade the judge or jury
- Refute incriminating evidence during the trial
- Reach a favorable outcome be it acquittal or plea bargain
Contact Our Criminal Defense Lawyers in Virginia
If you’ve been charged with a criminal offense, our lawyers at Portner & Shure can help. Contact us at (855) 954-4141to schedule your consultation. We provide criminal defense to clients in Virginia, Washington DC, and Maryland.