Portner & Shure has recovered over $400 million on behalf of our clients. Ready to explore your case? Click HERE for a Free Case Evaluation.

Seven Things to be Aware of Within Ten Days of Your DUI/DWI in Prince George's County

1. If you want to avoid a suspension of your driver's license or driving privileges in Prince George's County, you must request a hearing with the Motor Vehicle Administration within ten days of the issue date of the officer's certification and Order of Suspension. Technically you have thirty days to request a hearing but in order to ensure that your license isn't suspended before the hearing, it is best to make the request within ten days. Prince George's County residents should request the hearing to be held in Beltsville which is the closest full service MVA site for most people living in Prince George's County (including those living in Beltsville, Bowie, Capitol Heights, College Park, Greenbelt, Hyattsville, Landover, Laurel, Largo, New Carrollton and Upper Marlboro).

2. Requests for MVA hearings must be made within ten days of the arrest. A check for $125.00 must be included and mailed to the Office of Administrative Hearings at 11101 Gilroy Road, Hunt Valley, Maryland 21031-1301. Again, Prince George's County residents living in Beltsville, Bowie, Capitol Heights, College Park, Greenbelt, Hyattsville, Landover, Laurel, Largo, New Carrollton, and Upper Marlboro should request hearings in Beltsville.

3. Instead of requesting a hearing you may elect to participate in the Ignition Interlock System Program for one year. You must request to participate in the program within thirty days of the Order of Suspension. In order to be eligible for the program, you must meet several conditions.

4. The State Trooper or Prince George's County Police Officer should have given you forms to keep after you were arrested. One of the forms must be returned to the MVA with a request for hearing. The other form is your temporary driver's license, keep this in your glove box. If you request a hearing to modify your suspension you will need to provide your temporary license to the Administrative Law Judge. If the ALJ chooses to issue a restrictive license, you will be given a new license that day which carries specific restrictions.

5. If you do not have a Maryland license but were arrested in Prince George's County for DUI or DWI, the State may also take action against your driving privileges.

6. Two proceedings occur as a result of a DUI or DWI in Prince George's County. First, you will receive a court date in the District Court of Prince George's County. Second, if requested, you will attend an MVA hearing. There are two District Court locations in Prince George's County. One is located in Hyattsville and the other is located in Upper Marlboro.

7. There are three issues at your Beltsville MVA hearing, assuming you took the blood alcohol concentration (BAC) test. The issues are whether: (1) the State Trooper or Prince George's County Police officer had reasonable grounds to believe that the person had been driving while impaired or driving under the influence; (2) the test result was 0.08 or more; and (3) the person was advised by the State Trooper or Prince George's County Police Officer of the MVA sanctions that were going to be imposed. Most people who are charged with a DUI or DWI in Prince George's County request hearings to modify their suspension and obtain a restrictive license for work, school and/or doctors visits. A person seeking a restrictive license should bring documentation to the hearing that verifies his or her individual needs.