As advancements in medicine and technology continue to improve, the remedies and treatments for diseases, illnesses, and personal injury evolve and advance as well. While our ability to treat a wide range of ailments is a marvel of the modern world, these treatments are not without their flaws. Each year there are many injuries related to pharmaceutical drugs and medical devices used to help individuals. When this happens you may not know where to turn for help.
At Portner & Shure, P.A., Attorneys at Law, our mass tort lawyers are here to assist you during this difficult time. We understand the frustration that comes with following your healthcare professional’s treatment plan only to be injured even more. It can feel like a betrayal, as you place your trust in the medical community to help you during your times of injury or illness.
Unfortunately, however, all too often pharmaceutical companies can push drugs that include severe side-effects or medical supply manufacturers create medical devices intended to help after surgery or injury but are defective and cause more harm. In these situations, it’s important to contact an experienced attorney as your claim may qualify as a mass tort case.
Mass tort litigation enables those who are hurt by a product or service provided by a corporation or company to seek justice and compensation. These cases involve multiple plaintiffs who have all suffered from the negligence of the same product but pursue their cases individually, unlike a class action suit where every plaintiff is part of the same group and subject to the same outcome.
There are many types of pharmaceutical drugs that have been shown to cause injury, some of these include:
- Benicar: A blood pressure medication that has been known to cause serious gastrointestinal problems
- Invokana: A popular diabetes drug that has caused kidney failure, ketoacidosis, heart attack, and lower limb amputation
- Nexium/Prilosec: These are proton-pump inhibitors used to treat gastrointestinal problems but have caused kidney disease and failure, increased risk of heart attack, and dementia
There are also many types of medical devices that have been known to cause serious personal injury, some of these include:
- IVC filters: These are used to help patients with risk of blockages in their lungs but have been shown to cause heart or lung injury, damage to other organs after device breaks, and even death
- Hernia mesh: These devices are used during hernia surgery to stop a hernia recurrence but have caused bowel obstruction, infections, pain, and additional surgery to repair
- Essure: This device was created as a permanent birth control but has shown to cause perforation of the uterus and fallopian tubes, chronic pain, and ectopic pregnancies
If you’ve been injured or suffered serious personal harm because of side-effects of a drug or medical device it’s important to contact an experienced attorney right away. Our team can help hold the responsible party liable and help you pursue the maximum compensation you deserve.
Please call us today at 410-995-1515 or 301-854-9000 for assistance in Maryland, 703-734-8790 for service in Virginia, 804-916-1577 in Richmond, and 202-554-1449 in Washington D.C. We work on a contingency basis, which means that we don’t get paid unless your case is successful.