What to Do After a Car AccidentAuthor: Portner & Shure
The effects of a car accident can be devastating to you and your family. Not only will your vehicle most likely be severely damaged, but serious personal injury can result as well. In the immediate aftermath of an accident caused by another’s negligence, you may be confused angry, and even in a state of shock, but what you do during this crucial time can help your case and maximize the compensation you may receive.
The experienced car accident lawyers at Portner & Shure understand that these accidents can leave you with exorbitant medical and rehabilitation bills if you incurred significant injury. That’s why we recommend following a few steps immediately after an accident so that you can take steps to hold the guilty party responsible and get the compensation you deserve.
Following a car accident, we recommend that you:
- Seek medical attention by paramedics at the scene or a hospital right away
- Gather information with the other driver including their name, phone number, insurance information, license plate number, and driver’s license number
- Take account of the accident by writing detailed notes of what happened, what the scene was like before and after the crash, road conditions, and speed limits
- Get any witness accounts of the accident and collect their information
- Take extensive photographs of the scene and all vehicles involved
- Request documentation such as the official police report and any medical records
- Contact an experienced personal injury lawyer
If you’re unable to complete the above steps because of injury, ask a family member or friend to do so on your behalf. Having as much detail and photographic evidence of the accident as possible will help you in your case as you pursue compensation for your suffering from the negligent party.
If you would like to learn more about how we can help you after a car accident, contact us today at (855) 954-4141 for your free consultation.